Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thankful Thursday. We have a new Pope. Giving thanks for the church.

Last night before I went to bed, I set my alarm for 4.30 because I knew that that was the time that smoke would be coming out of the Vatican chimney. I woke up pretty quickly and went to facebook because I knew that my peeps would be posting if we had a new Pope. I noticed after a couple of minutes that my conclave app had an update and it was saying White smoke coming out of the Vatican chimney so jumped out of bed and got Steve up too. We turned on EWTN and saw the Vatican chimney and the Vatican Bells ringing. We sat waiting for the announcement and then Pope Francis came out. It was quite a joyful moment for us all here. Because it was so early, I taped the program for the children to watch rather than waking them so early.

A couple of years ago, a non Catholic challenged me in my faith in God because I am Catholic. At the time, he said to  me that we could discuss anything I wanted and he would prove to me that the Catholic church was not from God and that in being a Catholic, I was not following God's plan for my life.

I challenged him with the fact that God started a church and that the Bible was a product of the church, not the church a product of the bible. We had quite a few notes back and forth about this and he showed me lots of Catholic sinners and lots of how his own interpretation of the bible contradicted some of the churches teachings. At the end of it though, he wasn't able to show me that Jesus didn't start a church because it is obvious from scripture that he did.

I am so grateful that God started the Catholic church and that the church guides us in to full truth. He promised us that the gates of hell would never prevail against her and that he would be with us always. For me, the new Pope is a sign that God is faithful in his words and that he is with us.

Therese.

8 comments:

Marilyn Rodrigues said...

I know Therese, isn't it exciting and wasn't he beautiful this morning? I was overcome with exactly the same gratitude you describe.

Erin said...

What an exciting day, and so Universal to know we were both up at the same time, experiencing the same moments:){}
http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/habemus-papam.html
I'm beyond thrilled.

Vicky said...

This was really great timing for Thankful Thursday! There was a lot of joy and emotion at our house, too, and such overwhelming love!

God bless, Therese:-)

Therese said...

Hi Marilyn, Erin and Vicki. It was such an exciting morning for me and for the whole family. With Pope Benedict, we woke to the news on the radio and I felt like I had missed out a bit on the news. I didn't want to do the same thing this year so I made sure I set my alarm to wake.

Thanks for your visit and your comment.

Therese.

Amy said...

Very thankful!

Therese said...

Hi Amy,

It still excites me to read this post and I am still s thankful for him. Thanks for visiting and your comment.

Michele said...

I pray for the new Pope, he seems to be a very humble man. May God bless his pontifcate, and keep him well, and strengthen him.

Therese said...

hi Michele. Our Pope is very humble and holy. I loved that he asked everyone to pray for him before he blessed us. Thanks for dropping by. Therese.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.