Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why God matters. A book review.


I really enjoyed reading Why God Matters. It was light and easy reading. In between, each chapter, there are quotes from the bible, catechism of the Catholic church and life lessons. From reading the life lessons, I found myself thinking about my own life and what I could learn from Deacon Steve's and Karina's experience.

When I was asked to read Why God Matters, I read the review and it said that the book was about Deacon Steve and Karina going from a casual belief in God to a deeper devotion to him. I suppose I thought from this that the story was going to have what I have thought of as the Damascus experience. (bolts of lightening and God's voice booming in Paul's ears). While the story does have some moments when God really was shining and showing his presence to Karina and Deacon Steve, it doesn't have the sudden 2x4 moment where their lives are turned around completely. Instead, it has a lot of little stories that show both Deacon Steve and Karina recognising God in the little everyday events of their lives. From the simple receiving of flowers on a birthday to the big recognition of Guardian Angels protecting us. It is an inspirational story showing God working the extraordinary in the ordinary everyday living.

I am going to buy myself a copy of this book. For any Australian's wanting it, it is available from Fishpond. This book isn't just a good story. I am sure it would be equally as good as a aid in prayer and in growing closer to God.

Well done Karina and Deacon Steve. Thanks for sending me your manuscript.

Therese.

6 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Will need to get this book!! Thanx! Cathy

Karina Fabian said...

Thanks so much for sharing Why God Matters with your readers--and especially for taking the time to find out where you can get it in Australia.

God bless,
Karina Fabian
www.whygodmatters.com

Anonymous said...

I'm reviewing it next week! Thanks for the perspective!

Abbey's Road said...

I must look for this book here! It sounds wonderful (and you gave a wonderful review, too!).

Thanks for the heads up on this good read!

Blessings to you and yours,
Abbey ♥

Tribute Books said...

Therese - thanks so much for letting readers in Australia know about 'Why God Matters' and where they could buy a copy. We really appreciate your support of the book.

I like your verbal imagery - Damascus, 2x4s, etc. - you are right, most of the time God does not speak to us in such dramatic ways, but in the everyday encounters we have with other people.

Best wishes,
Nicole
Tribute Books

kim said...

i am interested in reading this book

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.