Friday, March 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes.



Jen at Conversion Diary is the hostess for the 7 Quick Takes.

Pop over to see other Jens and other peoples quick takes.
-1-

Pump Malfunction.

For the last month or so, Tom's pump has been chewing batteries very quickly. A battery is suppose to last around a month and he was putting a new one in every 10 days. Last Tuesday, we put a new one in and later in the day it was saying battery flat. I rang medtronic and after trouble shooting his pump we discovered that he needed a new battery cover.

They said they would send a new cover. That night though Tom's bsl got way up into the 20's so we decided until the battery cover arrived to give him daily injections. This leads me to my number two for today.

-2-

Daily Injections.

Today was day 3 of daily injections for Tom and we got the battery cover. When it arrived, he asked me if he could just stay on daily injections.

I was a bit disappointed but know he needs to want to pump for it to be successful so agreed to it. I have pointed out to him the advantages of pumping but still he wants to do the daily injections.

This afternoon I spoke with his endocrinologist about it and we have worked out a daily dose for him.

She has sent me a chart which has worked out the insulin he would need with the carb intake and his bsl taken into consideration.

He will have 13 units of lantus each evening with tea. Novo rapid will be given at each main meal depending on his bsl and how many carbohydrates he is eating.

-3-

Sewing.

Well my new sewing machine is here but as of yet, I haven't had a chance to play with it. Maybe tonight I will do a few things since Daniel and Steve are watching some scary movie.

I want to finish Brigette's curtains and some overalls for Joseph this weekend.

-4-

Back Garden.

Steve has done a great job in the back yard. I took some photos today but they are all really blurry. Some child's finger prints are on it. I will take a few more tomorrow and put them up.

-5-

Joseph.

On Monday Joseph turned 13 months. He is still crawling around and not showing any interest in walking. He has lots of people that are willing to carry him so I don't think he sees any need to walk.

-6-

Lent.

I don't think before I had children I realised just what a gift lent is to us. It is a time that we can re focus and see where our spiritual life has been lacking. Over the last couple of years especially I have seen this more in my life.

-7-

St. Joseph.

Next Saturday is the feast of St. Joseph. I posted a link to a novena in the Save Baby Joseph facebook group.

We will be doing this novena and praying especially to Joseph's patron over the next 9 days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Therese, I am sorry to see Tom doesn;t want the pump.
Ironically Josh does want a pump but the docs keep putting him off.
The injection business is a bit of a pain. We weigh his carbs and he tries to get it right - and most of the time he does. But for some reason there are stretches of time when no matter what he does the bsls climb.
What made Tom not want to pump?

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I understand your concerns about the pump malfunction. Wes had one with his new pump. BS went to 625...Got the new pump again but was costly in other ways as well as he lost all his insulin with the old pump...Doing well know but was a bit scary! Have a grand week! Cahty

Therese said...

Shell,

I think it is just a burden to him being attached 24/7.

When Tom went on the pump, it was me that was interested in that kind of therapy.

His endo seems to think after a few weeks of injecting all day he want to get back on it. I have everything ready here for it if it happens.

Christopher really wanted to start pump therapy and he likes it. He doesn't understand Tom not wanting to do it. I can see such a difference in co operating from Christopher since he wanted it.

I think when Josh gets a pump he will be just as committed as Christopher since it is something he wants. His doctors really should not be putting him off. Pumping is so much better. It is more work but the bsl are much much better.

Cathy,

625 is very high. Highest bsl we can put in our pump is 600 I think. We go by mmol though (divide your bsl by 18).

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.