Thursday, March 17, 2011

A mothers rule.

I remember the first time I read A Mothers Rule of Life, the author, Holly spoke about the miracle of the loaves and fishes and how God used the miracle to speak to her about her needs and how he could meet them.

When I first read it, I couldn't really understand how the miracle related to being a homemaker and mothering.

Since having Joseph though, I can now see that the miracle does really relate to mothers at home. So many times over the last year I have complained to Steve, it seems like I need to get a lot of jobs done with only a small amount of time. I bet the disciples felt like this when they only had 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed 5000 people with.

I have realised this past week that since Joseph's birth, I really haven't followed a mother rule like I was before he was born. I guess something new came into our lives and I just went into survival mode and doing what I could when I could.

Joseph was a pretty easy baby but he is very much a mummy's boy. He doesn't like to go to the other children while I am busy with other things. Since he started crawling, he isn't as demanding but still likes to be in my arms more than any other place. I suspect he will also be less demanding once he starts walking as well and once he has completely weaned.

It is time though for me to write up a mothers rule again. I need to reevaluate what God wants me to be doing through my day and what my priorities need to be.

This is one of the things I really love about our Catholic faith. It is only because it is lent and I have been making more effort to take the children to church and praying extra prayers that I had this realisation.

So over this weekend, I will be making a list of my priorities and writing up how I should be spending my day. I hope with a bit more organisation, I will be able to get everything done well.

6 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Lent is a wonderful time. A gift of the Church that allows us this time of reflection. It is most productive for me when I really insert myself into it! Wonderful post! Cathy

honey said...

I love this post, Therese. This is an area that I need to improve as well. Like you, I think I will reevaluate my day, make better use of my time, and get my priorities in better order. Your post was food for thought. Thanks for reminding me how important it is to be aware of what God wants me to be doing with the days he has blessed me with. I can think of several things I can and will do differently beginning today!

Christie said...

I always feel so touched and happy when you and I are on the same page, continents apart. Guess what I just worked up a draft of today?

Seems like a Holy Spirit thing to me!

Kelly Casanova said...

I could definitely do this too. I'd like to read that book again, but I leant it to someone and it hasn't been returned. Lent is such a great time for remembering what we're supposed to be doing!

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Therese. I haven't read "A Mother's Rule of Life" but have heard much about it. Life in our family runs so much smoother when we have order to our days.

I was so delighted to see the Australian Catholic Families button here. Thank you!

Katie said...

I'm with you...I need to redevelop a rule again and follow it. Even reading the book again would be a good start.

Also, just wanted to let you know that I said some special prayers for you this week for the very things you mention here. Blessings!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.