Sunday, January 13, 2013

The new normal.

Yesterday it was a week since we found out Amelia had diabetes too. It has been quite a week but we are all getting use to the new normal. 

I have made a few changes to things to keep up with everything I need too. 

I have labeled all their bsl meters, ketone meters and finger prickers. I am also going to label a penmate for each of them and get different coloured medic alert bracelets. 

We can now get sports bands with different themes. It will be easy to tell which one belongs to each child this way. 

I have been intending to make the boys some bags to carry all their supplies in but hadn't got around to it before Amelia's diagnosis. I bought the pattern for this little purse


I am going to make one for each of them to carry their bsl meter, bsl strips, finger prickers, ketone meters and ketone strips. I am also going to make them a draw string bag to keep their pump supplies in and hopefully a back pack for the boys each to keep both their purse and drawstring bag in along with hypo treatment.  Amelia was given a backpack from JDRF so she won't need one. 

We have two weeks of holidays left so hopefully I will get a purse each and drawstring bag each done before school goes back. I also want to make a few other things. 

Last week I finished this top:



I have some white fabric with pink flowers that I also want to make the same top with. I also got my bebe dress pattern and want to get it done before school goes back. 

If I have time once these are all finished, the boys could do with some new shorts too but at this stage, I think I will just buy them a few pairs each from Big W. We will see how much time I have and how we go with all the things I have on. 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have recently found your blog and was happy to find a diabetes mom. We just celebrated my daughter's nine year anniversary. I was shocked to see now you have three children with type 1. I know what goes into the day and to multiply it by three just blows me away. I live in Pennsylvania in USA. I do hope all goes well with you and your family in the new year. Take care of yourself. In my home and I am sure in yours too, Mom is the Glue that keeps it all together. Barb

Unknown said...

The organisation that goes into your day is tremendous, but it sounds like you are on top of things!

Therese said...

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your comment and letting me know you are reading my blog. It was a big shock to us too for our 3 child to be diagnosed. I think Christopher's diagnoses was a bit harder though. With two children with it, I thought there was more of a possibility of another child having it but didn't really think it would happen. Thanks for your good wishes.

If you ever want to talk online to another d mum, feel free to email me. My email is on my profile page.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.