Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A typical home school day.

Jillian posted on her blog about their home school day.

I thought I would do a similar run down here as to what happens with our day.

Usually everyone is up by 7.30. The older children are responsible to get their own breakfast, get their lunches prepared for school and pack their school bags.

I start breakfast preparation first for Tom, Amelia, Christopher and I. Tom and Christopher need to have their sugars checked first thing before breakfast. Once breakfast is cooked I will sit and check email and look at a few blogs while I eat my breakfast.

At 8.20 I leave to take the older children to school. I get back from this trip around 8.40 and this week we have started jumping straight into home school as soon as we get back.

Prayer is first, followed by reading. After reading we do a different subject each day.

Monday: Science.
Tuesday: History.
Wednesday: Geography.
Thursday: Sewing.
Friday: Cooking.

This usually goes till around 10.30.

Tom and Christopher do another blood sugar test and then they have recess. This is usually playing outside especially if it is nice weather.

At 10.30 I generally will get a cup of coffee and get on the internet again. I try to limit my time to 30 minutes but sometimes I end up going over.

Once morning tea is finished, the children and I will work together to clean something. I don't really have a timetable for this but I do what I think needs doing. If a room is particularly messy, we will do that one. At 11.45 I start to get Christopher ready for kindy and he has an early lunch. He needs to be there at 12.15.

When I get back from kindy, Tom and Amelia will have a quick lunch and we will start our afternoon learning at about 1.00. In the afternoon we do spelling, maths and literacy.

These three lessons usually go till around 2.30 and then our home school day is finished.

At 2.45 I leave to get Christopher and the school children.

When we get home the children have a snack and then do a job they do before they are allowed to play.

We eat tea at around 5.30. At 7.30 or so we will have family prayer.

8.00 is bed time for the younger three and lights get turned out at 8.30.

I have to do a blood sugar test for the boys at 10.00 (about 2 hours after their supper) so from 8.00 till 10.00 I generally spend time on the computer or doing some sewing.

11 comments:

Vicki said...

Sounds like a great schedule Therese. Do you do the blood sugars on the boys while they're sleeping? If so, does it wake them up?

Abbey's Road said...

CONGRATULATIONS! My fourth grandchild is due February 1st!

I have left a gift for you on my blog, so visit me soon!

Blessings,
Abbey

Therese said...

Vicki,

Occasionally it will wake Christopher up but I don't have to check him every night. I only do one for him if was out of range at 8.00 or if he has eaten a high carb snack.

Tom is so use to it that I could prick him several times and he wouldn't wake up.

If his sugars are low and I need to give him something, it can be difficult to wake him completely.

Therese

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
What a busy day you have!

How do you cope with having some children at school and homeschooling others?

We usually do maths and literacy subjects in the morning when our children are bright and awake, as we had our daughter do her maths in the afternoon, and she made such a mess of it that we vowed that she would never do it in the afternoon again. The silly part of it is that she knew how to do it, but she just couldn't think.

I hope that you're having a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Deborah said...

Thank you for sharing a day in your homeschool. :)

A friend of mines daughter just found out she is diabetic at the end of July. They are still adjusting to it.

Therese said...

Jillian,

We originally did our maths, spelling and literacy in the morning too. I decided to change it this term though to the afternoons because that is when Christopher is at kindy. Tom and Amelia like religion, reading and the extra subject so they generally work pretty well in the morning. In the afternoon it is sometimes hard to motivate them and keep them on task, but I haven't found yet that they get a lot wrong.

The older children at school doesn't really make me any more busy. They are all responsible for getting themselves ready and I just drive them there and pick them up in the afternoon.

Hi Mrs Adept.

I am sorry to hear about your friends daughter. It is a big adjustment and the first year is the hardest. Did your friends daughter get ketoacidosis? It is a shock when they get it since it dehydrates them so quickly.

Marilyn said...

Thanks Terese. I love learning about other at-home mums' daily schedules.

Do you find many opportunities to catch up with other mums during the week?

While I love being home with my two little ones most weekdays, by Wednesday I'm usually craving some other adult company during the day.

Btw, I hope the morning sickness/fatique is subsiding by now. And that was a lovely story about baby Matthew and Amelia a couple of days ago.

Therese said...

Hi Marilyn,

Not many mothers at home in our little town. Most of the mothers I know work and are rarely at home. I do crave some adult company sometimes but I think having older children to interact makes a difference.

I know that when we had our first 4 children that I would not have survived without playgroups and things like this with other mothers.

Morning sickness is just about over. I do feel tired many afternoons between the children getting home and tea time. I just sit quietly at this time though and usually feel perked enough to get through the evening.

Deborah said...

Yes, I don't know what it means, but yes - that looks like the word used in the email.

Scary isn't it.

Therese said...

You can read about Ketoacidosis at children with diabetes site. It is a horrible horrible condition. Tom has had it twice. The first time he was in intensive care and the second time he was in high dependency.

If you friend wants any support from another mother, feel free to send her here or my email is on my profile page.

Alexandra said...

Whew! That's one busy day, but doable. We have sort of the same schedule where we spread it out like that in order to get other tings done. It's a nice pace.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.