Monday, September 21, 2009

Following instructions.

Note to self. When sewing a pattern, don't just look at the pictures and think I know what I need to do. READ the instructions too.

Yesterday I was pinning the front band to my top that I am making at the top was too long for it. I thought for a minute that maybe I needed to gather the top a bit more but knew that wasn't the answer. After an hour of trying to work out what went wrong, I decided to leave the top and come back to it. I was going out with the girls anyway.

After tea, I picked it up again and tried fiddling with it to get it to fit. I measured the band and knew that it was the right length and measured the top and insert. The insert fitted but the bodice didn't. I was just about to give up and noticed that the bands around the bodice were about the same width as the amount I was out. I went back in the instructions. I had looked at the picture they had for d and assumed that I needed to sew the band and bodice with right sides together and then turn the band out. What I needed to do was sew the right side of the band to the wrong side of the bodice and bring it around to the right side with a small seam.

I will undo the sewing today. Not reading the instructions properly sure cost me a lot of time. I think the top would have been finished by now if I had read them properly.

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Do you know how many times I've done the very same thing? My mother the consummate seamstress taught me better and yet I insist on doing otherwise. Yes, indeed, I need to read the instructions too! Have a grand day! Cathy

Katidids said...

It seems to happen when you need to complete a project or need to useit, never when you have all the time in the world & are just sewing for the joy

Jeanne said...

See, this is why I don't sew. No need to read the pattern then!!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.