Thursday, December 10, 2009

Recipe swap Thursday.

We have a heap of cucumbers so I am pickling them this week. I thought it was a perfect recipe to share.


I got the recipe from Green Living Australia.

  • 1.35 kilos, 100mm. pickling cucumbers (about 36)
  • 3 3/4 cups water
  • 3 3/4 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup pickling salt
  • 12 - 18 heads fresh dill or 6 tbs dill seeds
  • 1 tbs mustard seeds

Directions

  1. Thoroughly rinse cucumbers. Remove stems, cut off a slice from blossom ends. In large stainless steel, enamelled, or nonstick saucepan combine water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling.
  2. Pack cucumbers loosely into hot, sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a 12 mm head space. Add 2 or 3 heads of dill or 1 tbs dill seeds and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds to each jar. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers, leaving a 12 mm head space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
  3. Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars and cool on racks.
  4. Let stand one week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
The Recipe Swap is on hold for the time being.
Check out this post:
http://themusingsofamom.blogspot.com/2009/12/thank-you.html

Blessings,
Jillian

Therese said...

Thanks Jillian.

I missed that post because I have been so behind in reading blogs.

Therese said...

PS. I love the photo of you.

Kym-Anne said...

Hi Therese,
I'm really interested in canning and growing my own vegies.

We only have a small courtyard so I'm researching container gardens to see what I can grow.

I've read I could grow cucumbers in hanging pots so this recipe will be great for any leftovers.

P.S. Thanks for the cyber hugs, I really needed it today and I pray your coping okay :)

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.