Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Saint Gianna.


Last year Saint Gianna was my patron for the year. When I was given the name, I really didn't know much about her. I knew that she had died because she was unwilling to have an abortion that would have saved her life.

Gianna had 3 children without any complications but then when she was pregnant with her 4th child, she developed a fibroma on her uterus. The doctors gave her three options to treat this. The first option was to have an abortion. The second options was to have a complete hysterectomy and the third option was to have the fibroma removed from her uterus. Even though St. Gianna knew that the removal of the fibroma could result in further complications, she opted for this to preserve the life of her child.

After the removal of her fibroma, Gianna experienced more complications but she was clear for the entire pregnancy, that if it came down to saving her life or the life of her child, they were to choose the child's life. Gianna was willing to sacrifice her life.

This had a great impression on me. I know in the general day to day running of our house that it is hard to sacrifice small needs for my child, much less give my whole life up for them.

I am so thankful for the Saints in Heaven that interceed for us and that we can read about. In reading about their lives we can see their heroic virtues and strive to be like them. They are really like big brothers and sisters encouraging us in our faith journey.

You can read more about St. Gianna here and here

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Excellent post, Therese! I love St. Gianna.

Unknown said...

She's one of my favorites!!!

Lola said...

I think though it's in the small day to day that builds up our character in order to stand up for those "heroic" virtue times.


I crave solitude, I tend towards snappishness when interupted. Not exactly mother material. But, day by day, imperfectly, I'm asking my family and all the saints above to pray for me to grow and grow up! (Thank goodness for St. Gianna! I am so greatful for her as one of our friends in Heaven!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
What an inspirational woman!

Not being Catholic, I don't know much about the Saints, but the attitude of this Gianna is one that we should all adopt.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.