Tuesday, October 02, 2012

St Therese

46 years ago, I was due to be born on the 3rd of October. My mother and father chose the name Therese Angela as the feast of St Therese was on the 3rd and the feast of the Guardian Angels on the 2nd. I was born on the 1st and years after I was born, the feast of St. Therese was changed to the 1st. Since my parents named me after St. Therese, I did have a small devotion to her and asked her often to intercede for me but I didn't really realise just how holy her life was.

A couple of times, I started reading her autobiography but  found it hard to read and just a bit too fluffy.  

In 2001, we moved away from family and friends for a job that Steve got with Catholic Education. The year was really tough on us. We were adjusting to living away from family and friends, Tom got type one diabetes, Amelia was born and Steve found teaching very difficult. It was a year full of challenges for us.

I was feeling quite annoyed with God and kept on asking him why we were dealing with so much. I cannot remember how I came across St. Therese's autobiography but I remember thinking that I should try and read it one more time and that maybe I could get something out of it.

The story touched me profoundly. I realised just how holy St. Therese was and that her little way was indeed something that could help me live a full life. I knew that been named after such a holy person was a real gift. I also realised just how rich the Catholic church was with patron saints to give us good examples in living the faith. They are just like big brothers and sisters encouraging us and leading us by example.

Thank you St. Therese for your little way and for being such a good example in living a life for God Thank you also for your intercession for my family and me.

Therese.

9 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Happy Birthday and Happy St Therese Day.

God bless.

Therese said...

Thanks so much Victor. Thanks for visiting too.

Shirley said...

Happy birthday! May God continue to bless you and your family.
My sister Sharron Therese was named after St Therese, and at confirmation time she chose her as her patron saint. I did everything my big sister did, and I wanted her for my patron saint too- we were confirmed together- but mom wouldn't let me, and told me I could have St Teresa instead. Mom was wise, St Teresa has inspired me greatly, especially with her devotion to St Joseph.

Vicky said...

I hope you enjoyed your birthday, Therese:-)

St. Therese of Lisieux is the saint we chose as patron saint for our family and our homeschooling. I struggle to relate to some of the other 'bigger' saints but St. Therese always seems so constant and supportive to us. Our youngest daughter is Melanie Therese - my husband chose Melanie and I only found out later that it was St. Therese's sister's name.

God bless, Therese:-)

Leanne said...

Therese, I hope you had a lovely day. We too celebrated St Therese feasy day with her being Brids' confirmation saint.
She is rather special.
We were in Lisieux last month and she is ever so pretty lying there. Gorgeous town as well
Leanne

Therese said...

Hi Shirley, Vicky and Leanne.

I am constantly finding out about people that have a devotion to St. Therese and how special she has become to many people.

Leanne, I would love to travel one day to Lisieux.

Nancy Shuman said...

Happy belated feast and birthday. And what a gorgeous picture of St. Therese!

Anonymous said...

Happy very belated birthday. Have a great year of Faith.
Shellxx

mum6kids

Therese said...

Sorry Shell. Catching up on comments now and only just read yours. Thanks for the good wishes.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.