Friday, November 14, 2014

World diabetes awareness day. Looking for that cure.

Anyone that has followed my blog will know that even though we have 3 children with type one diabetes. I will never support any cure that comes from Embryonic Stem Cell Research.

Type one diabetes came into our lives back in 2001. Our whole family is affected by this, not just the three children that live with it. It has impacted on us all and I am sure all my children could tell you stories of why we want to find a cure and what it would change for us.

When Tom was first diagnosed, I thought we would give him an injection each day and that he would live just like other children. I didn't realise that he was going to have hypo and hyper blood sugars, I didn't realise that any sport he did was going to affect his bsl, I didn't realise that any kind of illness would end up with him in hospital with a drip to keep him hydrated. I have learnt a lot since then though and there isn't much I don't know about diabetes now.

One of the things I have learnt a lot about is looking for a cure.

When I talk about curing diabetes, I think about having life without checking bsl, without giving any kind of injections, without weighing ever portion of food and working out how many carbohydrates each child is eating, without worrying about what some sports activity will do and without worrying about what an inaction or action is going to bring about.

Lots of research is looking at ways to regenerate islets. The thinking is, islets have been killed in the pancreas so we need to replace them to cure diabetes. In theory, this sounds right but I don't think finding a way to replace the islets will cure diabetes.

The reason people with type one diabetes have no islets is because their body has an antibody that kills the islets. These antibodies don't just disappear, they stay forever. I think that the cure we need to look for is getting rid of the antibodies that attack the islets in the first place.

The first time I realised this was when I watched this video by Dr. Faustman.



From the reading I have done. BCG will need to be injected into people with type one and repeated for their life but it will make our life so much easier. We support Dr. Fausttman's work because it is ethical and I believe it has the most promise.

No comments:

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.