Saturday, January 05, 2008

Getting back on track.

I had a couple of days that I didn't do any de cluttering. Fly Lady says that if you give it up, you are doing too much. I think she is right. On Wednesday, I didn't take the 15 minute breaks that she suggests every hour. I just wanted to get on and finish Tom and Christopher's room. There room is probably the most disorgnaised. It is going to take much longer than any of the other bedrooms to get organised and all the junk out. I just have to slow down and take baby steps.

Today I have left their room and continued with the kitchen. All the bottom cupboards are cleaned out and I can see everything that is in it.

My next project will be the pantry.

When Steve has finished our room he is going to build another cupboard in the kitchen for me to put all my canisters in. Because we don't know how long the bedroom will take him I am going to get all my canisters out on a table that is where we will put the cupboard. It probably will look a bit messy but I really cannot find anything in our pantry. It is just too small to store food for our family. If we move the canisters out I can reorganise my pantry and then do the top cupboards in the kitchen. I have worked out a time table and the top cupboards and pantry should all be finished by next Saturday.

I also need to get back on track with prayer. Last year the reason my mother's rule went so well was because I centred it around prayer. Prayer was the top priority. I know that when Tom got his pump and I had a lot of extra things to do for Christmas, I didn't make prayer the priority that I had before. I thought I have too much to do. I don't have time to pray. I have done this so many times and it really just wrecks all my routines. I am too rushed and doing too much rather than taking my time.

So this afternoon I will work out a routine for the next week that starts with prayer as the top priority. My next priority will be cleaning out the kitchen but I am going to allow 2 hours a day only for this (with two 15 minute breaks) so working on it for 1.5 hours.

Steve has had a few problems with the sanding machine he hired for our floor. He has finally though put the stain and first coat of varnish onto it and it looks really great. I will take some photos when we can walk on it and post the before and after shots. I cannot wait to get everything back into our bedroom. We have been sleeping on the matress on the floor for 5 nights. I hope we will be back in the bed on Monday night.

9 comments:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I tend to do the same thing - declutter till I'm burned out and not take any breaks. Then I don't want to do anything. Today I spent most of the day decluttering Kathryn's room. It's a disaster. Now I'm pooped!
I agree, prayer sets the tone for our day. I'll join you in getting back on track!

Therese said...

It is good to know that I am not the only one that does this Lisa. Prayers for both of us to get back on track.

Adrienne said...

Oh my gosh!! It's a virus going around. I spent all of yesterday re-doing some closets. When I took my breaks I was re-reading Fly Lady for inspiration. My control journal needs updating and I started to work on that, too.

Where does all that STUFF come from!!!???

Therese said...

I haven't even started a control journal Adrienne. I keep on saying to my husband, where does all this rubbish come from too.

Adrienne said...

I had the book for a looooooong time before I tackled the control journal. It was silly to wait as once I got going it was pretty simple. The control journal makes it all much easier.

As your life changes sometimes tasks for certain days have to be moved around. Since it is on the computer and the pages are just stuck in page protecters, it is easy to update.

Therese said...

do you think I should do the control journal before I finish the de clutter? I thought I would do something like that once all the clutter was gone.

Easter Almuena said...

I noticed you changed the background of your blog. Light blue is a wonderful color for the new year. So peaceful and refreshing!

I look forward to seeing pics of your new floor! :-)

God bless,
Easter:-)

Shannon said...

Hi Therese,

I saw your comment on Donna's diabetes blog and wanted to say hello because I have a son who is 7 yrs old and has diabetes. He was diagnosed when he was 2 1/2 yrs old.

I hope he and all of you are doing well :)

Adrienne said...

Yes, do your control journal first. The de-cluttering will happen as a result of working your zones each week. Each day you work a little extra in the zone you are in and you can do a bit of extra de-cluttering. When you try and do all of your de-cluttering at once other areas will suffer and the end result will be more chaos. This is what we have been doing most of our lives.

After you cycle through your zones a few times (about two months) you will be amazed at how clean everything stays.

Let the de-cluttering happen naturally and don't rush the process. Don't forget your daily routine has to be done, too. I did find the 15 extra minutes each day in the zone of the week to not be enough (at first) so I upped it to 30 minutes. After those first few cycles you can usually cut back to the 15 minutes.

Don't forget your breaks;-)

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.