Monday, March 31, 2008

7 years ago today.

Tom was diagnosed with type one diabetes.

It was a big shock to all of us. He had been sick for about a week. I had noticed that he was drinking more than usual and that he seemed hungry all the time. On the Tuesday before diagnosis he started vomiting. I thought he had just picked up a bug. About 48 hours after this, I was talking on the phone with my mother. I wasn't really concerned about the vomiting, I was concerned though that his outer limbs were turning blue. When we held his arm, it would turn white and take a count of 5 to return to the blue colour. My mother convinced me that I needed to talk to a doctor at least. I phoned the doctor on call and got advise about what to do overnight and told to bring him in the next morning.

The next morning I took him to the doctor. She was very concerned about his limbs being blue and an awful nappy rash he had from the high sugars and frequent urinating. She weighed him, gave me a script for some cream and told me to keep his fluids up and to bring him back the next day. In the 24 hours that followed we gave him lots to drink and when we went back the next morning he had lost over 1 kg in weight. (Around 2 pounds). It was at that point that I knew he had something seriously wrong with him.

That afternoon he was diagnosed and we were flown down to Adelaide with the Royal Flying Doctors.

In the last 7 years, diabetes has had an affect on every aspect of our lives. We need to plan everything for Tom. Before the pump, we had to have him eating at the same time everyday. He had to eat a snack in between meals. We couldn't go anywhere without something to treat a sugar low. We never know when a sugar low is going to happen and sometimes we don't know why they have happened.

I was told when we were in Adelaide, there would be a cure for diabetes in Tom's lifetime. There has been huge leaps made in discovering a cure but many people are looking for a cure in the wrong area.

I would love there to be a cure for Tom and for him to never have to rely on a pump or injections again. I don't want it through immoral means though.

Many people think that diabetes can be cured if more money is put into embryonic stem cell research. I will not support any charity that is putting their money into this type of research no matter who they are.

An embryo is a human being. To get an embryonic stem cell, an egg is fertilized and the nucleus pulled out. This kills the young baby. If scientist were to come up with a cure from an embryonic stem cell, Tom would probably be healthy, but it would be at a cost to another human. No one should die, so that Tom can live life without diabetes.

The world has become so desensitized to what human life is and I am shocked at the amount of people that think an embryo is less than a person that is born. All life is valuable, whether it is an embryo or and old lady sitting in a wheel chair. We all need to care for everyone and give all the same rights (even when they are small and we haven't seen them face to face).

An argument I have heard is there are many frozen embryo's that parents are not going to use. The parents have their two children, don't want anymore so they ask for their frozen embryo's to be defrosted and thrown away. Many people think that these embryos should be used for research since they are going to be thrown away.

This is like saying, all the Jews that the Germans have in concentration camps are going to be killed by them so lets take them and do experiments on them since they are going to die. This would rightly cause an uproar. The same uproar should be happening for our most vulnerable. Babies that cannot defend themselves need us to speak up and against embryonic stem cell research.

I have tried to find out the charities that give money to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. I know that JDRF did support it in the past. I have emailed them and haven't received an answer yet as to whether they still do. I have had trouble finding current details of where JDRF spend their money now.

I have come across this group though that state they don't spend any money on Embryonic Stem Cell research. The group is called Children with Diabetes. You can visit them here
Post a Comment

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.