Sunday, February 14, 2010

Joseph's birth story.

Today Joseph is a week old and I thought it was about time to share his birth story.

All day Saturday, I was contracting. They were mild contractions but regular so I started thinking this is the start and that something would happen Saturday night or Sunday morning.

I took it pretty easy most of the day and we went to Saturday night mass just in case we couldn't make it Sunday.

Saturday night, I found it hard to get into a real deep sleep and still had contractions for most of the night. Just after 6.30 I woke up and had a stronger contraction and felt something a bit different. I thought what was that and got up out of bed. My waters then broke. I told Steve to get up and that we would need to go to the hospital.

We got to the hospital and they monitored me for a while. I was still contracting but the contractions were not strong still but I thought with broken waters it wouldn't be long and I would start getting them.

Lunch time came and went. Still the contractions were mild. I was thinking, what the heck is going on since usually once my waters are broken labour gets going. Steve went home for a while to see what the children were up too and came back at 2.00.

We spent most of the day just waiting around for labour to start. Just after 3.30 my ob decided it was time to start some syntocin and see if that would get labour going. We then headed from the ward over to labour ward. The ob examines me and tells me that my waters in front are still intacked. I thought she meant that they hadn't broken but what had happened was they had broken behind Joseph. That was why I wasn't going into labour. The ob broke the waters in front and they started the syntocin drip slowly.

By 6pm I was in labour. The contractions were stronger than they had been most of the day but still manageable. I didn't feel as if I needed any pain relief yet.

At 7.30 the midwife examined me and I was at 9cm. Pain was pretty strong now but it was too late for any pain relief except the gas so that was what I had. I thought that because I was about 9cm that the labour would be over pretty soon anyway.

At this point, contractions dropped back a bit so the syntocin had to be increased. I don't really remember when but soon after this, they discovered that my cervix was caught on Joseph's head and that was why I wasn't moving from 9cm.

After a couple of hours at 9cm, I decided it was time to try and get into a new position. I moved around onto my knees and then soon after this got a strong urge to push. I started pushing and pretty quickly Joseph was born. I wished I had changed positions earlier.

He was born at 9.35 pm. His weight was 3620 (8 pound exactly) and his length was 50 cm (19 inches).

All our other children have had pretty small head circumferences (between 28 and 32 cm). Joseph's was 35. When the midwife said, 35cm I was pretty glad I had been on my knees and had the gravity helping me deliver.

From my competition, both Jean and Kym guessed the right date for Joseph's birth. 4 people were pretty close to the weight too guessing 3685 (8 lb 2 oz). Therese, Kym, Yofed and Mary.

Congratulations especially to Kym for guessing the right date and being so close for weight.

19 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Aw! I love birth stories! They almost give me contractions because I find myself following right along with the flow of the story!
They give you GAS for labor? I've never heard of that!
I'm so happy "everything came out alright"! Congratulations for your whole family.

Shelly said...

how wonderful Therese!! Congrats to you and your new baby Joseph! (great name too! - keep your eye on him. heck, keep both on him! LOL)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the birth of your beautiful baby! He is so precious!!!

Kalona said...

Therese, I love the picture in your other post, and I'm so happy for all of you. Joseph is a fine, handsome boy. Congratulations to all of you, and may God bless Joseph always. Hugs!

Shirley said...

Once again, congratulations and what a cute little baby. What's his full name? Love the name Joseph, partly because of my devotion to St.Joseph. God bless your family!

kim said...

well I guess I got a feeling about the date...lol.

anyway. glad you are all ok.

Oh boy, after reading that I am not looking forward to labour pain any time soon. I am a big baby when it comes to labour. all I do is cry...lol.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful birth story,what a trooper you are and what a marathon,he is just beautiful,cluck,cluck,cluck,LOL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
Thank you for sharing what must have been a wonderful experience for you and your family. :D

Congratulations once again!

Blessings,
Jillian

Therese said...

Shirley,

Joseph's middle name is James. Steve has been doing his family history and there are a lot of James'.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy he's here! (ok, he's not here, but you know)

Staying at 9 for so long is tough. I'm glad you decided to change position and that you didn't need any further intervention.

Would love to see more pictures!

Alexandra said...

The same thing happened with my daughter, and I had to be flipped back and forth to dislodge her.

Unknown said...

How wonderful! So glad to hear the story, Therese!

Mary N. said...

Thanks for sharing Joseph's birth story with us, I admit that I was curious as to how your labor went:) God bless you and your precious gift from heaven. I hope that you are getting some rest.

Michele said...

hmm, he has same name as my brother joe:) congratulations therese and steve. may God wonderfully bless this little mans life, and send His holy angels to watch over him.

Colleen said...

I've also never heard of gas. What do you mean? Congrats again on a lovely baby boy!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new baby boy! We were blessed with our Jacob just 8 wks ago. Enjoy all that sweetness to it's fullest!

http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

Therese said...

Gas is also called entonox. You can read about it at this link:

http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/labourandbirth/painrelief/entonox/

Anonymous said...

Well, as usual, experience is the best teacher! You managed to get yourself into the right position!!!
Many Blessings!

Tea Time With Melody said...

I had to do some searching to find this post but before I had taken my "break" from blogging I was steadly tracking you lol. So tonight I wanted to read what I had missed. Joseph and my husband share the same birthdate and my sons birthday is the 10th lol.

When I visited your blog after my hiatus and saw Joseph I was like, What the heck, I missed it!!!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.