Friday, January 18, 2013

Seven Quick Takes.


-1-

This week has been a bit quieter for Steve and I. Madeline has been in Sydney at Campion College and Brigette in Adelaide with my girlfriend. Tomorrow they come back. It has been nice to have just the younger 4 and Sam home. I have more petrol in my car and haven't been taxi driving nearly as much. 

-2-

On Sunday Steve and I are going away for a weekend alone. The following weekend is our 22nd wedding anniversary and we wanted to have a getaway for it. 

In October, we went to Endilloe Lodge for one night. It was a great getaway and we thought it would have been even better to get away for two so this time we are going back there for 2. It is close enough that if there are any emergencies at home, we can get back quickly. 

-3-

I have started making little bags for Tom, Amelia and Christopher I started with the glucose monitor bag yesterday. This is my first attempt:


It is okay but it only fits glucose meter, strips and finger pricker. 


I really wanted them to fit the ketone meter in as well. The ketone meter can check blood sugar levels as well but the meter here, communicates with the boys pumps so we have two meters. I have a few ideas in my head to make them bigger and also a bit more attractive so will draw up patterns this weekend while Steve and I are away. 

-4-


Steve and I have been car hunting for a while now because we are not driving around as much as a whole family. We thought it would be good to get a bit of a smaller car so have been looking around at a few different SUV's. 

We looked at Holden Captiva, Nissan Dualis and Ford Territory. At the start of the month, we approached a couple of car dealers and told them what our price range was and what we are interested in. 

On Wednesday we put in an offer for a Nissan Duallis and it was accepted. It has to be ordered in and delivered but hopefully in a couple of weeks, we will have a new car. I am pretty excited about getting it. 

-5-

Having three diabetic children does have some advantages. This week we were helping pack up the crib at church and Christopher dropped his ketone meter out of it's box. We didn't realise till later that afternoon that we didn't have it when his bsl was on the higher side. Fortunately, I had two other ketone meters to choose from until we could get back and pick it up. 

-6-

One other thing I need to do is get some kind of wallet organiser for the children's cards and prescriptions. They all have 3 prescriptions each, a ndss card, health care card, medic alert card and wch appointment card with their url number. We also have a family member's card for Diabetes SA. It can be hard to keep track of who needs what and where I have each child's card so I thought I would get something that keeps them all together. 

I was looking around for an organiser like a passport one. I found a couple online but was a bit hesitant to buy online and find it wasn't suitable. 

I decided to look around for a tutorial for a card holder/wallet. I came across this one: 


I will need to make it a bit bigger to fit their scripts in but I think it is just what we need. 

-7-

Tomorrow is 2 weeks with 3 diabetic children. I am getting into routine and maintaining most things. I hope it will continue once school goes back. 

For more 7 quick takes visit Jen at Conversion Diary. 



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing beautifully with Amelia. God bless you all as you figure out your new normal.

Therese said...

Thanks so much for your prayers and support Therese. They have got us through this.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Busy time for you as always!!! Keeping you in my prayers. Know how it was with just one child with diabetes. God bless you all!!! Cathy

Erin said...

Hey, did Maddy tell you she met my Dominic at Summer Camp?:):) So funny!

Therese said...

Erin, I kept thinking I must ask Madeline about any of your children going to Campion. I guess we will have children meeting there for quite a few years to come.

Brigette will probably go next year.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.