Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Chicken Vegetable soup

Since it is the middle of winter here, we are enjoying lots of soups. I made up a chicken vegetable soup last Sunday that was delicious.

Here is the recipe I used but I changed a few things around with the vegetables we already had. I also used a whole chicken rather than chicken legs and made my own stock with the chicken.

Ingredients.

1 tbspn oil.
2 leeks.
1 medium onion.
1 garlic clove.
3 carrots.
3 zucchini.
3 celery sticks
8 cups chicken stock.
1 whole chicken.
1.5 cups split peas or soup mix.
1 turnip diced.

Start making chicken stock by putting the chicken in water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming often.

heat oil in frying pan and add onion, leeks and garlic. Cook until leeks and onions are transparent.

When stock is cooked, remove chicken from stock and take meat off bones.

place chicken, vegetables, split peas and stock into saucepan together. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with bread rolls.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I have popped over from the "Pay It Forward" Meme today. You were featured by Laura at Day by Day in Our World. I'm so happy that she sent us here.

I've already been clicking and having a grand time. Zip on over and check out our Meme, we'd love to have you join in the fun!

Blessings...

Anne said...

Visiting from Laura's blog as well! It's hard to fathom stew and winter time when we are in the middle of a sizzling summer heat spell! God amazes me with this wonderful and varied world of His!

Therese said...

Anne, I keep looking at all the summer recipes that my friends are posting from the states and think, I will have to remember to try that in summer. Yesterday I read a recipe for strawberry scones which I will remember to try this summer. Especially if my husband grows them again.

Thanks Holly for letting me know you came here from Laura's blog. It made my day to read her post about my blog.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.