Thursday, March 01, 2012

Write Hope on your hand.

A friend of mine from facebook has asked people to write hope on their hand today for those suffering from type one diabetes.


I wanted to post it here too.

I am very hopeful that there will be a cure one day for Tom and Christopher. This week has been a difficult week. On Monday night, we couldn't get Tom's bsl down below 20 (360). He had insulin at 6.00pm, 8.00pm, 10.00pm, 12.30am and 3.30am. At 7.30 he was still up at 17(306) so we gave him some breakfast and insulin to cover carbs and high sugar level. By 9.40 he was low at 2.1(37). After treating the hypo, everything seemed good for the rest of the day fortunately.

When we have days like yesterday, I think we need a cure now. I don't want to wait for a cure. I want to have it now. I guess I just need to learn patience.

I also need to remember that we now have the means to  keep the boys diabetes under much better control now. We have glucometers to check blood sugar levels.  Thanks to Frederick Banting, we have insulin to give and now we also have insulin pumps to deliver them. Insulin pumps are a much easier way to manage type one diabetes. Before Tom was on the pump, he had regular trips to hospital. I think since he has had the pump, we have had two stays in hospital.

Every day, treatments are improving and we are getting closer to a cure. Every day we have Tom and Christopher here is a gift. I give thanks that we have the means and treatment today that we do. I also hope for a cure in the future.

Therese.

4 comments:

Kelly Casanova said...

Oh Therese, I hope you don't have any more days like that in the near future, it must be exhausting for you as well. We will keep praying for a cure.

Jeanne said...

It is good for me to read this and to realise what you and your boys go through. Praying tonight for a cure. Hugs.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Many years ago after Wes was diagnosed with DM I remember praying that God would heal him. I prayed diligently for that healing. Then one night in a dream He said to me, "If I heal him he will die." And of course He was right. I was praying for the wrong thing! I should have been praying for a cure. Since Wes, now 40, got his insulin pump, life for him has been much better. No serious BS drops, seizures, comas. When he was diagnosed there was only the urine test. My goodness have times have changed. Praying for you all!!! I know just how you feel! Cathy

Lola said...

I'm praying for a cure. It must be right around the corner. It's a real suffering that isn't fair that so many children and their families deal with daily.


I read your quotes on the sidebar all the time and I thought you might like this one:


"This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

- Adm. Stockdale


I read about him at Ann Barnhardts blog and she linked to his story here: http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/inspiration-admiral-stockdale


God Bless you and your family Therese

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.