This week, Therese from Musings of a Mom has asked us to share our favourite Christmas cookie recipe.
I don't think cookies at christmas are big here. I tend to do a lot of slices for sweets. My children take little packages of slices to school for their teachers on the last day. My favourite slice by far is Coconut ice so I decided to share this recipe with everyone.
This is the recipe I used last year and will do again this year.
- 125g copha
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 500g pure icing sugar, sifted
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 drops red liquid food colouring
- Line a square 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang the sides. Melt the copha in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
- Combine the coconut and icing sugar in a large bowl. Add the copha, egg white and vanilla extract, and stir until well combined. Divide coconut mixture in half. Press half the coconut mixture over the base of the prepared pan.
- Add the red food colouring to the remaining coconut mixture and stir until well combined and evenly coloured. Spread the pink coconut mixture over the mixture in the pan and smooth the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove the coconut ice from the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16small squares to serve.
Go here if you don't know what Copha is.
Any other questions, ask in the comment box.