Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Home made mayonnaise.


I think one of the delights of summer is having salad with mayonnaise. I love mayonnaise on salad rolls, chicken schnitzels and just to make some lettuce more appetizing.

I decided this weekend to try and make some myself. I looked for a recipe on the net and found this one.

I got all my ingredients out and realised we had no vegetable oil. I decided to use all olive oil. What a big mistake. The mayonnaise was awful. It had such a strong oil taste that I was gagging as I was eating it.

I then went surfing the net and found this little video:



I decided that I couldn't make myself or the children eat it so the chickens had a big feed of the olive oil mayonnaise.
I bought some vegetable oil last night. I haven't tried the recipe yet but I think I will try it tomorrow and see what it tastes like. Maybe Tom and Amelia will have a lesson on emulsifying.

6 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Amazing that the kind of oil would make that much difference. My mother used to make mayonnaise, but I have no idea what the recipe was. Have a wonderful day! Cathy

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

:) I'm glad to know that! I use lard for virtually everything that calls for Crisco, but my cake decorating teacher convinced me not to try it for icing. Until late this summer, when I made my birthday cake, and grabbed the wrong container on autopilot. YUCK! I couldn't even eat my own birthday cake--and I'd been looking forward to it all summer, too! :)

Deborah said...

LOL - too funny. Olive Oil Mayonnaise. :) And here I was thinking that Olive Oil was the best stuff ever - for everything. :)

Hope your next batch works out super good.

Nancy said...

I had no idea....
Excellent information, Therese.
I love mayo!! I could just eat it with a spoon....no other food necessary!

Therese said...

lol Nancy,

I could too but whenever I do it, my children all go ugh gross mum.

Anonymous said...

Summer indeed! I'm sitting here in my woolly tights and wooly dress and a woolly shawl in the lovely, but freezing Autumn of the UK.

My dd makes mayo and has moaned at me for buying the wrong olive oil. Apparently only the 'light' oil made for salad dressings works she tells me. I have learned there are all sorts of olive oils out there-now that I have to pay attention.
What do I know? I buy Helmans...

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.