Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thankful Thursday.

This week has been a tough week. I have had a lot of trouble with Tom's blood sugar levels. Whenever things get tough, I really start to hate this insidious disease. I start to wonder why me and wish that both my boys didn't have to deal with it.

This was topped off by waking yesterday with a pretty bad headache. I felt so bad that I asked Steve to take a family leave day to help out with home schooling and all the other things I need to do for the day.

My natural reaction to all these negatives in my life is to sit and mope about it and how hard it really is. I mope around and feel sorry for myself. This is very self destructive though. To get over it, I really need to sit back and be thankful for all the good things in my life. That is why I decided to write another Thankful Thursday post tonight.

So today I am thankful for the research that could lead to an artificial pancreas and would help both my boys lead a more normal life:



I am thankful that we have the means to check our boys blood sugar level and treat with insulin.

I am thankful for the boys team of doctors and diabetes educators that can support and help me look after the boys.

I am thankful for carelink. I can upload the boys pumps onto the internet and the endocrinologist and diabetes educators can look at all the data. This has been a great help to the boys management.

I am thankful for the online diabetes community. I have a couple of support groups on facebook and yahoo groups. They have been there whenever I have felt down or wanted advise about what to do to look after the boys.

I am also thankful for all you that read and follow my blog. It is always good to know that if anything goes really wrong with either of my boys, I can type up a prayer request and will have people praying for me and my boys. Thanks for all those that have supported me spiritually and given words of encouragement.


10 comments:

Leanne said...

Therese, I am thankful for you and your words of inspiration and kindness.

Therese said...

Oh thanks so much Leanne.

honey said...

Therese, You and your family are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Therese-I am so thankful for you! Praying for good things for you today! Let's Skype soon! :)

Unknown said...

It is wonderful that you can show gratitude even when times are tough, hoping you have a lovely weekend.

Therese said...

Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement and support.

Sue Elvis said...

I am grateful for your friendship too, Therese. With prayers.

Christie said...

Remind me of this gratitude the next time I'm forgetting to say thank you for the difficult gifts in our family! Talking to Heaven for you and grateful to have read this today.

I don't know if Australians have the idiom, "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't." It's not any consolation, really, but it does help me when I am feeling down about the struggles here. Doesn't stop me one bit from wanting something different, just reminds me Who is in charge here and Who knows better.

Therese said...

Christie, It is an idiom I use all the time. I also keep on saying the grass will always look greener if xyz changed. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Allison said...

Today I am trying to read all your diabetes posts. My 14 ys son was diagnosed t1 about 3 weeks ago...

I remember reading about Tom and now I am sharing this journey with you. Life changes in an instant.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.