Monday, June 13, 2011

Sewing a new jacket

This is a jacket pattern I bought a couple of years ago. I opened it and read the instructions and frightened myself. I love the style and think it would look great but the pockets are welt pockets. I haven't ever sewn welt pockets and the instructions looked quite complicated. So instead of having a failure, I put the pattern away and haven't attempted to sew it since.

This weekend I was going through my patterns and decided to get this one out. I read the instructions again and thought (quite dubiously), well maybe I can do it. I looked at the review for it at Pattern Review. One review said it was a great pattern for someone to learn some new techniques like the welt pockets. I am encouraged. I am going to have a go at it. I will trace the pattern tonight and hopefully get it cut out during the week. If I have a chance this weekend, I will start. The welt pockets are one of the first things to be done so I will know fairly early in sewing it if they are too hard or not. Once I have completed the welt pockets, I am fairly confident that I won't have any problems with the rest.

Maybe I need a patron saint for sewers.

4 comments:

honey said...

Therese, I said a little prayer for you, and I looked up the patron Saint of sewing :-) I found out that it is Saint Ann. Happy Sewing!

Kelly Casanova said...

Good luck with it Therese, it looks like a lovely pattern.

Therese said...

Thanks Honey and Kelly.

Steve is off to Adelaide tomorrow so I have asked him to call into St. Pauls and see if he can find a small picture of St. Anne for me to have on my sewing table.

Erin said...

I made a suit jacket for David once! it isn't so hard if you just focus on a step at a time. Have fun.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.