Friday, August 12, 2011

Quick 7.


Thanks so much to Jen from Conversion Diary for hosting 7 quick takes each week.

-1-

We are having a few changes in our house next term. Tom and Amelia are off to school. I did originally think that we would start them next year but decided to get things organised for 4th term. I have been feeling overwhelmed at all I have to do with home school and looking after the house. I keep on thinking that I am not doing anything 100% and that is what I want to do. I am pretty confident that Christopher, Joseph and I will establish a good routine pretty quickly that I won't feel so overwhelmed by.

-2-

Madeline has been talking about going somewhere as an exchange student in 2012/2013. She has talked about Hawaii and New York. I think it would be good for her to go somewhere that isn't as well off as we are in Australia. Steve and I are going to look into it a bit more. I will keep you all posted on what we find out and if she does it or not.

-3-

I have a new handbag. One of the things I dislike about living in a small country town is the limit we have in stores. I went to both Target Country and Big W and they all had a really small range of bags. They were all overpriced imo too. I bought this one online. It is great. It isn't too big or too small. I fit everything I need in nicely.

-4-

Diabetes SA put on a diabetes camp each year for children with diabetes between the age of 10 and 12. There are a lot of children that apply to go on this camp so not everyone that applies, gets to go. We sent in the application for Tom to go a couple of months ago and heard this week that he can go.

The camp is on the middle weekend of the October school holidays. I will take Tom to Adelaide and stay there while he is on the camp. It will be good for him to meet some other children with diabetes and be at a place that has diabetes educators and Registrars that know how to look after them all. Tom is very excited about going and the rest of the term cannot go fast enough for him.

-5-

Steve's singing lessons continue. We all know the different exercises by heart. He said to me tonight, he has a new appreciation for what Singers go through to become really good.

-6-

Daniel is in the Holy Land this week. He has been swimming in the dead sea, stayed by the sea of Galilee, gone to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. We have spoken a couple of times with him and he is having a great time. He says the traffic there is bedlam. I hope we will see for ourselves one day.
-7-

This week in Australia we had the Census. I did ours on line and it was a great way to do it. I knew all the questions by heart though by the time I got to doing Joseph. It took me about 1 hour to complete. Interestingly, many households didn't complete the online census. They entered all the data but failed to submit. I am pretty sure I submitted because I got a receipt number. I also saw our census guy tonight walking down our street. Since he didn't come to our place, he must have our receipt number.

9 comments:

Deanna said...

My daughter went to Perth, Australia for her exchange experience. She went to Curtin University. She loved it and now is living there working as a nanny since her graduation .

Erin said...

Big Changes!!

Unknown said...

WOW lots of exciting changes in your neck of the woods :) Cheers Sue :)

Leanne said...

Wow lots happening in your home atm, isn't there. God Bless
Leanne

Unknown said...

A friend of ours from church did a years exchange to Brazil.
I did our census online too- so much easier!

jen said...

hawaii and new york aren't exactly the most representative places of american life. i'd definitely pick some place else in the usa or somewhere less affluent to do her exchange.

one of the young women at church is a type 1 diabetic and has an insulin pump. is that something feasible for tom?

Therese said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.

We are having big changes but I am feeling a great peace about all of them.

Jen, Tom is on an insulin pump. He has been on it for 3 years now.

Peta said...

Wow big changes. Will you be going private school again or public?..
Try Rotary for the student exchange program. They are apparently really good. We host students through student exchange australia. We currently have a 16yr old girl from Germany with us. We love hosting. Leticia is planning on going to Germany after she finishes yr12 as an au pair (she isnt an A grade student and struggles enough with schooling so dont want to put extra pressure on her with a new language aswell)...hope it all works out for you....Peta

Therese said...

Hi Peta. Tom and Amelia will be going to the state school that is just around the corner.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.