Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tasty Tuesday. Prawn Noodles.

Today I decided to give Tom and Amelia a cooking lesson and cook something for tea.

I wanted to try the prawn noodles that I had at cafe primo last Friday night.

Here is how I cooked them:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil.
2 onions diced.
300 grams silver beet.
1 red capsicum.
500 grams green prawns.
1 family size pack of Hokkien Noodles.
1/2 cup chilli sauce.
1/2 cup of honey

Place the onion in olive oil and cook until transparent over a medium heat.

Put noodles into hot water and mix to separate.

increase heat of frying pan to high and add prawns.

When they are getting a pink colour, add the noodles, capsicum and silver beet.

Once everything is cooked through add the honey and chilli sauce.

Serve straight away.

I think next time I make this, I will mix the honey and chilli sauce with some water. The sauce was just a bit too think and too strong. It didn't really look like a glaze over the noodles.

We had this with a corn salad that I got from Abbey's blog

Here is a picture of the prawns cooking with the onions:



Here is a picture of everything all mixed together:



And here is a picture of the salad:

10 comments:

Colleen said...

OK, so prawns are like shrimp? And what is a capsicum? I love trying to translate Australian ;)

Therese said...

I think capsicums = bell peppers for you guys.

I thought everyone called prawns, prawns.

If you click on the photo of the finished meal it is much larger and the prawns and capsicum stand out against the noodles. I used a mixture of red and green capsicum.

jj said...

Imagine that some folks call prawn shrimps when everybodu knows they are called räkor. :P

Abbey's Road said...

OOOOOH! Those noodles with prawns sound and LOOK delicious!!! Yum!

Jeanne said...

Yum! Those noodle-doodles look scrumdiddlyumptious! Thanks for including your recipe!

Aubrey said...

That made my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
That recipe looks absolutely delicious!
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Michele said...

i like the idea of an electric skillet, that is one you have there plugged into the wall isn't it?

would be good on energy bill i assume? i know slow cookers are great on energy. at least the one i have is. payed 19.99 for it at walmart too. saves me a lot of time and energy over a hot stove.

Therese said...

We call them an electric frying pan Marilena. They are much cheaper to run than turning on a cooktop.

Our slow cooker wasn't as cheap as yours but it is great and I know it saves a lot on electricity.

Alexandra said...

My son loves this kind of dish! We've made the paella version before. I like your recipe - I shall try it. :)

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.