Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Scents.


I have been thinking a bit lately about how powerful scents are. I have a couple of scents that bring back memories from our wedding day. One is the perfume Lou Lou and the other is frangapani flowers.

We had frangipani flowers in our wedding bouquets and I wore lou lou perfume. If I ever smell either scent, I remember our wedding day.

There are other scents that bring back memories. I remember hating the smell of pinetarsol. Daniel, Sam, Madeline and Brigette all had chicken pox one after the other when Brigette was about 10 months old. I remember Daniel had them mildly, Sam and Madeline a bit worse and Brigette terribly. She had them everywhere. I gave her a lot of pinetarsol baths and now relate the smell of it to Brigette being sick.


I love the smell of baking. I love smelling bread or fruit cake baking in an oven and soups or casseroles baking in the slow cooker. One of my favourite things about winter, is walking into a warm house with the aromas of baking.

I also love the smell of a nice clean bathroom. I hate cleaning bathrooms but when they are done and smell all fresh and clean, I love it.

I cannot think of many other smells that make me feel sick or bring back bad memories. I am glad there aren't that many.

What are some of your favourite scents?

Do you have any scents that remind you of any special days?

Oh and this post was inspired because I bought myself some lou lou perfume. I cannot wait for it to get here. I wonder if Steve will be reminded of our wedding day by it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the smell of bread baking and the smell of my Mom's perfumes (Cinnabar or Halston), and my Dad's (Obsession). I sometimes smell my Dad's in the most random places. I like to think he is visiting from Heaven when I do.

EC Gefroh said...

Therese, the flower in your picture is Plumeria here in Hawaii. Is that what you refer to as frangipani? I love that scent! We have pink ones but they do not have scent.

Therese said...

Yes Esther, the flowers are frangipani. I didn't realise though that they were called Plumeria there.

My bridesmaids were dressed in pink and my mother found a tree in someones yard with the pink frangapani flowers in it. She went and asked the lady if we could buy the flowers for the bridesmaids bouquets and the lady told her to take as many as we wanted. I didn't realise they didn't have any scent though. I remember my bouquet was still really strong the next day. I remember holding it and taking it in.

Therese said...

Therese, I am sure your father is visiting when you smell him.

I hope my children remember the smell of my perfume like you remember your mothers.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.