Monday, May 16, 2011

Praying together.

I have been thinking about writing about praying as a couple for a while now.

Last night I read a post by Sue from Sue Elvis Writes, about spending time together and praying together.

It was the motivation I needed to get me writing about it too.

After 20 years of marriage, I would have to say that praying with Steve is the thing that really cements our marriage together. There have been many times that the need for prayer has been stronger than other times and that we have looked to God to get us through.

In our house, we pray with the children every night. On average, we would probably pray together twice a week. It really should be more but I think we don't see it as a real need for our marriage. A part of the reason we neglect it is we just feel so comfortable with each other and prayer tends to be a thing I put as a high priority when I face problems. I am trying to change this and see prayer as a thing to do in the good times and bad times. It is something that is so esential for all aspects of our lives but especially our marriage.

When Steve and I pray, we will usually pray something like the rosary, read from the bible or just have some quiet music in the background, a candle lit and sit together in the quiet. I think the quiet music and candle light is my favourite way to pray.



Taize music is one of our favourite musics to put on. It makes the atmosphere and helps me to focus on God. We also have some Gregorian chant and some music by The Priests.

2 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Therese. I am so glad we could share the subject of prayer, and thank you for mentioning my blog. Last night Andy and I hunted out our copies of "A Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer" and we sat quietly and said the night prayers together. We used to do this years ago but somehow we fell out of the habit. It was a wonderful way to finish our day. Thank you for sharing your story on my blog. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Taize is full-blown ecumenism.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.