Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bamboo Fleece and PUL.

Today I have spent a fair bit of time looking into buying the fabric to make my own all in one nappies.

We used cloth nappies for our first 5 children but both Christopher and Amelia were in disposables full time.

I really don't want the expense this time so have been looking around at what is available.

I want to go with the all in ones to make it as convenient as possible.

So I want other cloth nappies mothers advice.

I have found a heap of free great patterns and Tracy has sent me a heap of links too. I am just wondering if I should go with the expensive Bamboo fleece and PUL waterproof fabric or just use any cotton fabric. Have any other bloggers made their own or bought the expensive all in ones? Do you have any advise about making them/buying them?
I have thought about buying plain Chinese Pre Folds but by the time I buy covers for them, they seem to be getting just as expensive as an all in one.

4 comments:

Katidids said...

Last comment did no stick, well they are vey easy to make! We used flannel and fleeece, most were repurposed fabrics and at one point e had it down to less than $1.00 a diaper. send me your email and I'll break it down for you

Alexandra said...

We used those inexpensive Chinese prefolds - one preemie and one regular. I folded the preemie one in the middle. At night I added handmade hemp squares to the mix. For a cover, I used some handmade adjustable covers(good price compared to commercially made ones) that brought her through age three. Although I think plastic pants from a discount store would have been less, but you make yours, so you would probably make out better.

I used ebay to find all but the CPF. The CPF were inexpensive a few years ago. Sorry to hear they are increasing in price. I think a few years ago they were around $1.25 a piece online.

With your sewing skills, I'd definitely take a shot at making your own covers. There are many good patterns online. If you make a row of snaps, they'll adjust up as the child grows...a real money saver.

Anonymous said...

how exciting to be thinking about and sewing up diapers!

I made some of my own with my last one, but I use contours and wool covers, so I don't have any advice for AIO's. I can't wait to see what you make, though! :)

Anonymous said...

I put Linus into disposables overnight and can recommend this as a way of reducing washing and nappy-making, while not being too expensive.

We use modern cloth nappies for Linus, but not all in ones. I think the main cloth is cotton and then I use a cotton "booster". I do have a couple of hemp boosters.

If you can afford it, the bamboo might be good if it's extra absorbant, but sometimes there's so much liquid, nothing will hold it all!!!

If you use desposables at night, you can probably get away with just a dozen nappies.

As for washing - I just throw them straight into the machine - as they are - and run them through twice! I recommend it!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.