Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fitting everything in.

Last night I read a post at Fr. John Speekman's blog Homilies and reflections from Australia on prayer.

It was a great post. I felt inspired by it and thought I need to pray more. I know when I pray regularly, my life just seems easier to handle. Any emergency is not as stressful and getting all I need to do done seems to happen more easily.

I was speaking with Steve about prayer today and said it is easy for me to spend over two hours a day on computer. I have cut it back a lot and I have put it lower in priority than it was before but it still is a pretty big priority for me. I know that if something were to happen that I had to go without one thing in my day, computer would not be the one to go.

I also spoke with Steve about the idea that God has given us 24 hours in one day. Maybe we could start to give 10% of our day back to God. This doesn't necessarily have to be in pray, but I think prayer should be a big chunk of it. There are several different ways to pray. We pray each night as a family, Steve and I pray together often and I pray through the day. My prayer most days is a morning offering when I get out of bed and praying the rosary at morning tea time. I really should read the bible more and try to get to weekday mass more.

So today I have been thinking most of the day about how can I pray more. How can I set my day up so that I can spend more time with God? I thought at first I would have to cut something out and then I came across This post by Susan from Kerugma.

Instantly it spoke to me and I realized God was showing me how to spend more time in prayer. I need to make prayer a big rock and then work my day around it. I need to make my prayer time the focus of my day, rather than an extra to be put in at the end. I know that my big rocks are prayer, time with Steve, homeschooling and time with the children. The gravel is my household duties and the sand is spending time on computer. I can do them all as long as the big rocks go in first, followed by the gravel and finally the sand. I don't need to have an extra 6 hours in a day, I just need to put the big rocks in first.

2 comments:

Fr John Speekman said...

What a great analogy the rock is! Will need to spend some time thinking about that in my next prayer time. Thanks, Therese. Hope you are well.

Shirley said...

Lovely post, Therese. As it says in the Bible, pray always. I find that the more I pray, the more I love to pray. Sometimes it seems that if I stop for a moment in my busy day and silently make a prayer, it is like coming up for a breath of air after being under water for a long time. It gives life to my day.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.