Sunday, September 28, 2008

Please pray for Tom.

Today has been a tough day for Tom.

He woke up with high sugars and stayed high all day. He also got ketones in the afternoon. After speaking with a doctor in Adelaide, I took him to the hospital because that was what the doctor asked me to do. While we were at the hospital, Tom became very upset and started crying hysterically. When the nurses and I asked him what was wrong he just kept saying, I don't know, I don't know and when we offered him a drink or to go to another room to watch TV he said no, no, no over and over. I have never seen Tom like this. I think he was overcome with sorrow about having diabetes. It is only just 3 weeks ago that he got seriously ill with it and I think being at the hospital so soon again after this has brought the memory back of being so sick and in so much pain.

I remember when Tom was first diagnosed, I said to Steve, one day this will be a big cross for Tom to bear. I didn't really expect that it would be so obvious so soon and I thought with me helping him it wouldn't be something he had to deal with at this young age.

I know all the ins and outs of checking his blood, making sure I count his carbs and looking after him, but I don't know what it is like to live with it day in and day out or what the pain is like when he gets sick or has too many ketones. I know what he has to deal with and how to look after it, but I will never know what it feels like. I think that even with so many siblings, Tom feels very lonely at times because of his diabetes. He is the only one that lives with this.

So if you could please all offer a little prayer for Tom and me too. Pray for Tom to just accept this. Pray for me in helping him deal with it and knowing what to do when things are not right.

Thank you.

Therese

16 comments:

Michele said...

therese, you are a wonderful mother. i think you do know what to do as you've been doing it all along, just being there for your little man has been more of a support to him that you'll ever know. one day my friend, he is going to tell you that when he grows older. right now, he's frustrated. and i understand the frustration of living with a disease that is painful. trust me, it is frustrating, and when you have a support system like tom does, it is beyond wonderful. no one can understand it but God, and him. he has a family, and parents that love him, and he knows it.

talk to tom about the suffering of our Lord in terms he can understand, and mention to him that the Lord loves him, and totally understands what he is going through. if anyone understands suffering, it is Jesus. also, have you ever thought that maybe tom could volunteer to help support other kids with diabetes? perhaps having someone they can relate to might help him too because he wont feel so alone. contact a children's hospital, or a diabetes association. maybe there is a kids diabetes support group? if not, maybe you could start one of your own? only an idea:) God bless you, and tom:)

Kathleen Miller said...

Therese,

Praying for you and Tom. Hang in there!

God Bless!

Angie said...

Therese, you are doing a wonderful job and one day Tom will be able to thank you. He is young and he is learning (the hard way) about his body and the signals the diabetes is giving him. I agree with Marilena. I have a candle lit and I will say a prayer for ya'll today. God Bless...angie

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

I will certainly pray for you all!

Sarah - Kala said...

Lord, hear our prayer.

I'm praying!

Anonymous said...

Therese, I saw your blog title from $5 meals. I smiled big when i saw your husbands name was Steve. You see I am Theresa, my husband is Steve~~and get this we have a daughter with type one diabetes. I have only just begun to read your blog but will diffenately see if we have anyother simularities....oh yes we do also homeschool our 5 children.
I do not have a blog or I would give you the link. I sign anonymous just because I don't have a listing. Looking foward to reading more. I will pray for Tom and his struggles.

Kalona said...

Therese, I'm praying for Tom right now, and for you because I know how a mom feels when her child is hurting. My heart aches for both of you. It's no fun dealing with diabetes even as an adult. To a child it must seem overwhelming. I'll take you both with me to my Adoration hour tomorrow. Hugs.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Praying for you ALL! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Poor little Tom.
:(

Thank God he has a wonderful loving Mum and such a good family.

Saying prayers...

Shelly said...

this just breaks my heart Therese! oh, how our hearts ache for our children - i can't imagine how he must be feeling right now, but assure him that he's got friends in the U.S. praying for him, but most importantly his Heavenly Family is watching over him! His suffering won't be in vain.

Marie said...

Will keep you all in my prayers:). I hate to hear of little one's suffering. I remember a little girl I used to baby sit, she was covered in eczema from her chest to her toes, in summer she suffered greatly.

May God strengthen you both and the Holy Spirit comfort you when you need it most.

Peace and love to you:)

Marie xooxoxo

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Oh, the Lord bless you and Tom. My prayers are with you both.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

{{{Tom}}} {{{Therese}}} Praying for you both, and believing that our Lord has a special purpose for Tom, a special calling for a courageous and wonderful young man. May Our Lady soothe him with her perfect comfort.

Shirley said...

I agree that Jesus must have a special place in His Sacred Heart for Tom. Have you taught him to unite his suffering with Jesus' suffering? How wonderful the internet is that so many people from around the world are praying for Tom and for you! God bless you both and I place you beneath the mantle of Our Lady and in her Immaculate Heart.

Alexandra said...

Hugs to Tom (((()))), and lots of prayers. May God give him the strength and comfort he needs.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry things are so tough.
Prayers offered.
May God give you all strength for the bad days and peace for the good days.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.