Sunday, September 28, 2008

Please pray for Tom.

Today has been a tough day for Tom.

He woke up with high sugars and stayed high all day. He also got ketones in the afternoon. After speaking with a doctor in Adelaide, I took him to the hospital because that was what the doctor asked me to do. While we were at the hospital, Tom became very upset and started crying hysterically. When the nurses and I asked him what was wrong he just kept saying, I don't know, I don't know and when we offered him a drink or to go to another room to watch TV he said no, no, no over and over. I have never seen Tom like this. I think he was overcome with sorrow about having diabetes. It is only just 3 weeks ago that he got seriously ill with it and I think being at the hospital so soon again after this has brought the memory back of being so sick and in so much pain.

I remember when Tom was first diagnosed, I said to Steve, one day this will be a big cross for Tom to bear. I didn't really expect that it would be so obvious so soon and I thought with me helping him it wouldn't be something he had to deal with at this young age.

I know all the ins and outs of checking his blood, making sure I count his carbs and looking after him, but I don't know what it is like to live with it day in and day out or what the pain is like when he gets sick or has too many ketones. I know what he has to deal with and how to look after it, but I will never know what it feels like. I think that even with so many siblings, Tom feels very lonely at times because of his diabetes. He is the only one that lives with this.

So if you could please all offer a little prayer for Tom and me too. Pray for Tom to just accept this. Pray for me in helping him deal with it and knowing what to do when things are not right.

Thank you.

Therese
Post a Comment

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.