Sunday, October 18, 2009

Our Day.



When we are cooking the months main meals in advance, it is all hands on deck. Here are Madeline and Christopher helping with the washing up.

Today I prepared the Chicken Schnitzels, meatloaf and stew. I decided to take photos of the chicken schnitzel prep for Lisa.


put flour and breadcrumbs on a piece of greaseproof paper and some egg and milk in a bowl.


Place a chicken fillet in the flour first.


Next in the milk and egg.


finally in the breadcrumbs.

Now for the wrapping:


Place a piece of baking paper over a sheet of alfoil.


Place two schnitzels on sheet and wrap.

Wrap them up and freeze.

When you want to cook them, take them out of the freezer and defrost for 24 hours in the fridge.

Place in oven at 180 for 30-35 minutes. Check that the fillets are cooked the whole way though. Sometimes they take a bit longer especially if they are thick.

We eat them with salad on rolls and I think they are one of my favourite meals for the month.


I make our stew with kangaroo fillet. Here is a picture of kangaroo fillet. It is very lean.

For our stew, I cut up the kangaroo fillets and a mixture of vegetables. I freeze them in a plastic container all together.

When we eat them, I get them out of the freezer and in the fridge for 24 hours. I put them in the crock pot with a tin of tomato sauce, a packet of French onion soup and a tin of diced tomatoes. This is cooked on high for 5 hours.

10 comments:

Michele said...

poor kanagaroos:D *kidding* :D

Unknown said...

The chicken looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the picture of the kangaroo filet-reminds me of pork. What does it taste like-closer to beef?

Therese said...

Therese

The kangaroo fillet is closer in taste to Beef. I really cannot tell much difference between beef and kangaroo but Steve says he can taste the difference.

Tracy said...

Therese, looks like a very fine day indeed!! Many Blessings to you!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Wow...What wonderful work you do. Had not thought of kangaroo as a food staple...Where have I been. Good day to you! Cathy

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that anyone ate kangaroo! I've learned something today. :)

I love, love schnitzel. I usually pan-fry, but I might have to try baking. Yum.

Rosemary said...

kangaroo filets?? Wow. Interesting.

Rachel said...

Therese, you are wayyyy too busy. But I know, you're in that "final push" mode, trying to get as much in order as you can, making life easier on yourself...whew. I cannot imagine how you do it...

But it does explain why you are so svelte after several children...

Kelly Casanova said...

how on earth can you find the time to do a big cookup?! I'm one of those who decides a few hours in advance what we're eating for dinner, I find this really challenging!

Therese said...

The Handmaiden.

I started our big cooking when we started home school. It is a big job but I love that once it is finished that I don't have to worry about meals for another 4 weeks. I started it because I knew with home schooling that I would not have as much time to prepare meals each afternoon.

I have learnt a lot over the time and I am much better at it now and know what to plan and what not to do.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.