Monday, November 26, 2007

Learning Perseverance

Thanks to everyone that has been praying for Tom and I.


I am starting to believe that God is teaching me perseverance with this all.


Back in July I spoke with a Diabetes Educator about getting Tom onto a pump. Around that time I was chosen by St. Thomas the apostle. I thought right then that St. Thomas choosing me was confirmation that we were heading on the right road with Tom especially when he was named specifically after this St. Thomas. I also thought that because he was praying for me and because I was getting confirmation that this was what God wanted me to do that it would be perfect and I would have no problems with it.

I put God in boxes like this often. I say to him well because I am following your will life will be easy and have no problems. This isn't true. I can see now that God is using this situation with Tom to teach me some greater truth. He is teaching me what it means to persevere. Without perseverance we cannot attain Heaven. Without perseverance we are not going to know the right dose of insulin for Tom and be able to have his diabetes managed well. The Diabetes Educator that we saw today told me that within three months we should have a pretty good pattern and know exactly what Tom needs. This takes work from both me and Tom but will have good long term consequences. We need to keep the long term goal in mind not a bad day here and there.

So thanks for all the prayers. I know that it is because of all your prayers that I have been able to persevere through the hard days. There will still be some hard days to come but I know that they will help us get a better picture of what Tom needs.

7 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I truly believe that one of the Devil's greatest tricks is to sit back and do nothing--knowing that we, as humans, are far to impatient and lack the resolve to tough it out to the end (me especially!) I'll continue to pray for you and your family.

God Bless,
Jane

John Michael said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I hope that you are past the steep part of the learning curve.

Continued prayers for Tom and you!

Episcopollyanna said...

So true. What a wonderful post.

Keeping you in my prayers always. +

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Prayers.
It is difficult-watching someone struggle with illness, or anything.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Well stated. I think I need a dose of perseverence as well. Some days things can look bleak, but we need to see the long term goals, in this life and the next!

Marie said...

If I could give something to people it would be perseverence.

The only way to God is through the Cross there are no short cuts. Yet, we long to become close to our Lord and Savior yet tremble when He lifts us up to Himself.

We are like Peter who begins to sink.

God loves a persevering heart for He knows how weak we are:).

Beautiful post Therese:) thankyou.

Marie

Dawn said...

Continuing to pray for you, Therese!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.