Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Tasty Tuesday Tuna Mornay.

Tonight I cooked Tuna mornay for tea so thought I would post the recipe I used and the carb factors.

Now that Tom is on a pump we need to count every bit of carb going into his body. The way this is done is by working out the total carbs in the recipe and then weighing the food. If the food weighs 2kg and has a total of 300 carbs then we divide 300 into 2000 and get a carb factor of 0.15.

If Tom eats 200 grams then he has a total of 30 gram's of carbs.

Simple maths (when you have a calculator). I am working out the carb factor for all my recipe's and writing it down in a little book that I am keeping in the kitchen by the scales. It is a lot of work now but once I have most of our recipe's I will only have to weigh Tom's food.

Tonights recipe:

1 can of Tuna in Springwater.
2 medium onions
1 can of creamed corn.
1 can of corn kernels.
500 grams of mixed frozen vegetables.
2 cups of milk.
50 grams plain wholemeal flour.
2 tablespoons of oil.
1 packet of Dried French Onion soup.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions. When the onions are turning clear add the flour. Mix to make a think paste. Add a little bit of milk at a time and mix until it disappears into the paste. Keep adding milk until all is added. Add the tuna, mixed vegetables, corn, cream corn and french onion soup. Bring all to the boil and simmer for 15 min.

Serve with rice or pasta.

Carb factor is 0.18 per gram.

10 comments:

Michele said...

since one of my new years resolutions is to eat healthier, iam going to try this recipe:) thank you therese for another fab recipe!

Marie said...

Oh, Therese:)

I am going to try this it sounds delicious. I find that eating meat like chops etc is now difficult for me.

I have to eat soft foods which dont take much chewing. The Tuna Mornay sounds so tasty.

Many thanks Therese. Will keep you all in my prayers:).

Marie...PS Thankyou for your prayers for me:).

Anonymous said...

That sounds difficult to do..you are clever...

Therese said...

If you are talking about the calculations Jackie, I have a calculator to do all the difficult work for me.

What has been most difficult for me has been the organisation it has taken. I need to measure everything. The other day I made a lasagna and didn't measure all the ingredients. I looked in a book that has carbs listed and it said that 100grms of meat lasagna has 30 grams of carbs. I used this factor and was way out. Tom's sugars went really high that night.

Tanya said...

That sounds really good Therese, and I love to try new recipes. Hmmm....now I will have to figure out how to convert those measurements from metric to "American"! (Even though I've been teaching the metric system for 12 years now...you'd think I'd get it by now!)

Therese said...

Blondie,

There is lots of sites that have converters. I always seem to be converting from pounds and oz to kg and grams.

The tin of Tuna we use would be a pound.

The tin of corn and cream corn is nearly a pound too.

The mixed vegetables is just over a pound.

Tanya said...

Thanks Therese, that makes it pretty easy. Unless measurements must be exact, sounds like I could get by with two cans of tuna (these are generally 6 oz. each, I figure 12 oz. would be enough), a can of creamed corn (usually 16 oz., or 1 lb.), and a standard pkg. of frozen mixed veggies (usually 1 lb.). I think 50 grams of flour is just under 1/2 cup? This would make a good Friday meal for us.

Therese said...

Blondie,

a cup of flour is between 150 and 160 grams so I would go with a third of a cup if you were going to measure that way. The flour does make it a pretty think sauce so much more would make it too think imo.

Adrienne said...

It on my list on things to cook. Sounds yummy!

Tanya said...

OK, thanks! I'll let you know how we like it! :)

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.