Monday, July 07, 2008

My Day in Court.

I don't know if you all remember My post about being pulled over by the police for a random breath test and finding out that I was driving an unregistered vehicle.

well today was my day in court for my offense. I got my summons at the end of April and had to be in the court by 9.30 am this morning.

I was the first to be called. I went in and the judge read out that I was driving an unregistered vehicle on Highway one on the 31st of January 2008. I told the police officer before I walked in that I was pleading guilty. The Judge confirmed this and then a police officer got up and said that I was pulled over at 3pm and that I had no other convictions.

The judge then asked me if I had anything to add and I told him that three weeks prior to the registration being due I had taken our 7 year old diabetic son to Adelaide to start insulin pump therapy and that in the weeks that followed I was doing a lot of blood sugar testing and we simply forgot. The Judge asked me if we had received the registration note and I said I think it probably arrived the week I was in Adelaide with Tom and had been misplaced. The judge also asked me if I was working and when I told him I was a sahm he asked if Steve was working. He then asked me how many dependents we had and I told him 7.

The Judge set my fine at $150.00 which I was very glad of. I have heard of fines much more. We also have to pay court fees of $156.00 and I am will be making payments fortnightly. I thank God the Judge took into consideration that we are living on one income and that we have 7 children. I am also grateful that we are able to pay it off in installments.

The other penalty I received was no driving today or tomorrow. Loss of license for two days really isn't too bad. I am glad it is all over.

Therese

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew! Glad it worked out okay.

Michele said...

happy that it worked out well:)

uncle jim said...

if i'd been the judge, i'd have forgiven the whole of the debt ... and doubled it on the next rich bloke to come before me.

Alexandra said...

It sounds like you got a bit of a break with the sentence. I'm glad the judge showed you some mercy. :)

Kimberly said...

Glad to hear it worked out as well. It might be a blessing and a gift from God that you are not able to drive for the next two days--less time running around the kids and more time at home. As always, prayers are there for you and thank God your Guardian Angel put a hint in the judges ear to work with you.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Blessed be God forever,

Kimberly

Marie said...

Glad it's all over for you Therese:). It's so easy to make that mistake, luckily I dont drive but I know my brother made the same mistake. Fortunately he struck a really nice policeman who let him off with a warning. He now makes sure about the registration.

Peace to you Therese:)

Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese

I think it was pathetic you were given any sort of fine, you should have been given a caution at most. The judge should know you have and had a lot on your plate with your son having diabetes and you are trying to do your best for him and have to go to Adelaide to get the help he needs and that the notice slipped your mind. The only thing they seem to want is to raise their revenue. It would be different if you had been drunk or on drugs or had a long list of offences behind you.

Recently they stopped me outside my son's school as they were pulling parents over to do random breath testing and were checking speeds. I got very cranky and told the silly young constable the dog, our Samoyed who was riding shotgun in the back and myself always go to the pub before school. I think the young policeman was suprised a middle aged mum was so fed up.

What really gets my goat is the double demerits on holiday weekends as the Yass police always pull people over on the Hume Highway. I am very cynical because it is because they are looking to raise revenue through fines or the young police have to meet some sort of quota. I do know though that some they pull over are going like bats out of hell but most seem to be poor innocents

Karnak

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.