Friday, January 09, 2009

Our curriculum for 2009.

I have picked most of our curriculum for 2009 so thought I would share.

OUr timetable for home school is usually like this from Monday to Thursday.

At 8.15 the school children have all left so we start with morning prayers, a bible story or a saints story and then do an activity related to the bible/saint story. The main resource I use for this is Catholic Mosaic

At 9.00 we start our reading and spelling. Usually Tom starts his spelling while Amelia reads to me and then Tom reads to me once Amelia has finished. Once they have both read, I help them with their spelling activities.

The spelling words come from Essential Spelling I prepare several activities that they both have to finish by the end of the week.

The reading program I use is Fitzroy Readers The 10 books come with an activity book and I found it excellent for both Tom and Amelia. I also started using the words from Amelia's readers for her spelling words in the second half of the year last year and will continue to do that. She really needs lots of repeating to take things in.

Usually spelling and reading takes about half an hour to 45 minutes. We then move onto Maths.
Last year we used Signpost Maths and it was great. I will use it again this year.

After maths we have recess. I usually send Tom and Amelia outside to play for about 45 minutes. I have a coffee break and then do some housecleaning.

Then it is time for literacy.

I plan something different for each day.

Monday we do journal writing.
Tuesday we do our Voyages in Language for Amelia and Voyages in Literature for Tom.
Wednesday is Copywork or writing.
Thursday is voyages again.

Our last lesson after literacy is a different one each day.

This year we are doing:

Technology. We are going to do some building in first term with K'nex

Science: Last year I bought Great Science Adventures My mother gave the children the complete series of The magic school bus. Since we did The Magic School Bus last year, I will do the Great science adventures this year.


History. This year We will continue with The History of the World

Geography: We are using Galloping the Globe. I am looking forward to learning this.

Usually on Friday we have our fun subjects. We will do home economics first. I am going to teach Tom and Amelia basic sewing and cooking. We will then do art. Last year we did a few big drawings and collages on a big roll of butcher paper. We also did painting and paper mache.

After recess we will go to the swimming pool for sports and then after lunch we will have a library lesson.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WoW! That sounds great, Therese! I always admire Moms who can do this!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan, Therese.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.