Friday, April 17, 2009

Day one of my oamc.

Today I started my oamc for our main meals.

I was going to write out a post about all the things I do, but I think it will be easier if I write it day by day.

I usually take 4 days to cook all our meals but since we are on holidays, I am doing it over three this month.

Day one I do the following:

1- choose the meals.
2- Write a shopping list.
3- Go shopping.
4- cook any meat the needs to be cooked ahead.
5- cut up vegetables.

1. Choose the meals:

I choose 10 main meals and we have them three times each month.

My 10 to cook this month are:

poppy seed chicken.

hamburgers.

stew.

chicken schnitzels.

pumpkin soup.

Spaghetti Boglanaise.

Mushroom spaghetti.

meatloaf.

cheeseburger soup.

Each month, one meal will not be prepared ahead but will be a meal I can do fairly quickly on the day we have it.

My main meal that isn't being prepared ahead this month is Easy Oven Cooked Fried Rice. We have it without the meat usually since this is one of my meatless dishes.

2- shopping list and 3- go shopping:

I write down all the ingredients we need for all the meals and then go through the pantry before I shop to see what we have from the list. Anything we have, I cross off. I then do the shopping.

When I come home from shopping, I sought all the ingredients for each meal into a bag except for the things that need to be refrigerated.

4- cook meat ahead and 5- cut up vegetables:

I put all the chickens into a big saucepan to make chicken stock and cook the chickens.

I usually also cook the mince. I buy the mince from a kangaroo meat factory. Tonight I didn't get there before they closed so I hope they will be open tomorrow morning. Otherwise I will have to buy the mince from the supermarket.

tonight I will cut up the vegetables for the meals I am doing tomorrow. I usually keep these in the fridge in containers that we freeze the meals in in.

Tomorrow I will write about day two and post some photos.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

I'd love to eat at your house:) It all sounds so good!!

Nancy said...

Therese...I'm so excited! I think that you do this over 3 days instead of just 1 is a great idea! In the past, I've tried to get it all done...instead of enjoying the process. I can't wait to see your pictures!!

Abbey's Road said...

This is wonderful, Therese, and sounds so yummy! I can't wait to come for a visit ... uh .. did I fail to mention that part before? LOL!

BIG hugs and blessings,
Abbey

p.s. Kangaroo factory????

Therese said...

It is a local abattoir in our town Abbey.

They sell direct to the public and it is so much cheaper than the supermarket. Today I bought 3kg from the supermarket and paid $7.00 per kg. At the factory it costs me $4.00 a kg.

Therese said...

PS I would love to have you and your man for a visit. We would cook up a good old Aussie BBQ and have lots of other yummy goodies.

Easter Almuena said...

Hi Therese,
That is wonderful!!! How very organized!

Blessings this Easter!

paramedicgirl said...

Therese, you are WAY too organized! I would never be able to keep up that schedule. Today I made recipes from Chatelaine's Magazine that I found at the hairdressers - I cook impropmtu things mostly, but I have been known to plan ahead when we have company! I am not at all afraid to try out new recipes on unsuspecting company, either!

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.