Sunday, March 08, 2009

Lent: A time of renewal.

Each night for the last couple of weeks the children and I have been watching the biggest loser. At first I didn't like the set up of the game and the way they need to vote people off. I also hated the emotional outbursts and stupid questions the contestants were asked.

The people in the house for the biggest looser are there to learn what is good to eat and to exercise. Each week they weigh in and the two teams that have lost the least amount of weight, fall below the yellow line and are up for elimination.

The contestants that are above the yellow line decide who will go home. They have one vote each and the team with the most votes goes home.

Each time a person is sent home, they have a little preview of what they do when they get home. Most of the contestants keep up their training and eating well so that when they come back on the last night, they have also reached their goals.

Anyway (there is a point to this ramble about the biggest loser) during lent I have been getting up early each morning to pray with Steve and I have taken Tom, Amelia and christopher to mass during the week. I was reflecting on this and realized I really should be doing this all the time, not just during lent.

I think lent is a time for us to form good habits and renew our faith. It is like the people in the house for the biggest loser. They learn good lifestyle choices and continue when they get home. We in lent can start good prayer practices and keep them up after.

I hope your lent is going well.

Therese

3 comments:

Nancy said...

You're right Therese! I should be doing this too! I seem to be able to come up with any number of excuses. Thank you for reminding me.

Bek said...

Awesome reflection, Therese. Thanks!

(I see that you've understood your 'persona' on my blog... hope you took it as a compliment. It was intended as one.)

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Wise observation, Therese.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.