Saturday, March 07, 2009

quick 7.


---1---

I have 792 posts at the moment. I think my next quick 7 will be post number 800. Only 200 posts to 1000.

---2---

I haven't done a OAMC since the beginning of December. We have been spending a lot more on food because of it so I did our big shop today and will cook and freeze our meals for the month over this weekend. I cooked the chickens and mince today when I got home so the meals shouldn't take too long to do tomorrow. I usually spread the cooking out over 3 days so that I don't feel overwhelmed at the amount of work involved.

---3---

This weekend is a long weekend in South Australia. It is the Adelaide Cup weekend. We have a holiday on Monday to watch the horse race.

My father use to really enjoy going to the races and they were a part of life for us growing up. I remember going to the special mass one year that they have the Sunday before the Adelaide cup. I don't know if they still have it. Maybe one of my readers knows.

---4---

Every two years, our health insurance pays for Tom to get a new blood glucose monitor so at the end of march, I am going to get one. (It will be 8 years since diagnosis). I have been looking online for the type I want. I think we will stick with an accu check one. They really seem to suck the blood well and we have results in 5 seconds.

---5---

I just realized also since it is 8 years since Tom was diagnosed it is now 8 years since we left Adelaide. Time really does fly and I find it hard to believe we have lived away from family and friends for that long.

---6---

Steve is getting out into the garden this weekend. He will pull out some of the plants that aren't growing anything and plant some new plants.

One of the things he is planting is strawberries. I love strawberries and they are so expensive here so I am looking forward to them growing.

---7---

We are half way through the first term here this week. Home school is going really well. We have a great routine established at the moment and I know both of them better and what is a good effort for them and what isn't. I am also noticing Tom and Amelia are better friends. Last year there was a bit of sibbling rivalry and Amelia spent a lot of time bemoaning that there were no girls here to play with. I don't think she has complained at all about that this year.

Don't forget to pop over to Jennifer's for other quick 7 and to congratulate her on the birth of her 4th child, a lovely girl called Joy.

8 comments:

John Michael said...

Hi Therese,

I don't know how the pumps/meters in Australia are set up. But, in the States, Medtronic teamed up with One Touch to have a meter that links with the pump. It's awesome and makes using the Bolus Wizard easier.

You may want to check with Medtronic. The meter uses a very small blood sample, draws it in fairly well and provides a result in 5 seconds.

We also have a Carelink USB thingy. You plug it into your USB port, go to a website and download all of your pump info. Then, the doctors can look at all of Tom's data on the web. Maybe save a trip to Adelaide.

Like I said, things may be a bit different with what's available in your country. But, it almost makes managing diabetes a breeze!

I hope all is well. Please keep praying for John. He had an interview yesterday and would really like the job as a new career.

God bless you!
Regan

Unknown said...

The good thing about strawberries is that the plants multiply and spread. We have them running along the side of the garage and the side of the house. We get a TON of them every year! Raspberries too!

Enjoy the long weekend!

Vicki said...

So glad the homeschooling is going well this year!! One of the best things about homeschooling is sibling friendships. So many school children "hate" their brothers and sisters, but for homeschoolers siblings are friends.

Have a good weekend. :)

Laura said...

I love that you are planting strawberries and the weather here in DC is 68 today which all puts me in a very SPRINGY mood.

Therese said...

Thanks Regan for that information. As far as I know though we only have accu check and medi sense meters here. I had a look and cannot find the meter in Australia.

We do have some soft ware that I can download Tom's pump info but I haven't got around to installing it yet. I really should read the instructions and do something about this. I often email Tom's endo when we are having problems but still go down for a consult every three months. I want to teach him the importance of having regular check ups. A friend of mines brother in law has diabetes and doesn't really look after himself that well. He only goes for check ups when he needs a script for insulin and that is it.

Since knowing this guy I really want to teach Tom the importance of regular check ups and taking care of himself while I can.

I hope this job that John Michael has gone for is his new career. I will remember him today in my rosary.

Therese

Tracy said...

I really enjoyed your quick take Friday:)

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Our office gets glucose monitors from AccuChek and Ascensia (from Bayer) to give to our patients at no charge. Of course, the test strips and lancets must be purchased by the patient. Will your doctor be able to offer that to you?

I think my son Wes' is Medtronic too. Might be worth looking into.

You've been a very busy lady! Cathy

Therese said...

Cathy,

Many of the companies here are willing to give out free meters so that they know people will buy their testing strips. Since our insurance company pays for the meter I get Tom one every time he is entitled to it.

I remember when Tom was just 18 months and he dropped his meter in my cup of coffee. I was sure we would have to buy him a new one.

I decided to ring the company and ask them about getting a new meter and they said sure we will send you one overnight and I had it the next day. I really couldn't believe we got it so fast.

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.