Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The stations of the Cross.

During lent we have been praying the stations of the Cross. Homeschooling mum 4 Christ asked me what they are so here is an explaination.

The Stations are a series of reflections that Catholics do during lent (it can be done anytime but it is probably done more through lent). There are 14 different station:

1 Jesus is condemned to death.
2 Jesus takes up his cross.
3 Jesus falls for the first time.
4 Jesus meets his Blessed Mother.
5 Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry the cross.
6 Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
7 Jesus falls for the second time.
8 Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
9 Jesus falls for the third time.
10 Jesus is stripped of his garments
11 Jesus is crucified
12 Jesus dies on the cross.
13 Jesus is taken off the cross
14 Jesus is laid in the tomb.

We light the fourteen candles. We start with the sign of the cross and then The opening prayer If you want to see the different prayers, each station follows on from the other on this web page.

As we pray each station we blow a candle out. When we get to the end we finish in darkness. The atmosphere from the darkness is very somber and surreal.

Here is a youtube video of the first station that can give you a bit of an idea what we pray.

6 comments:

Kym-Anne said...

Hi Therese,
Thanks for this post, it is so interesting.

Not being a Catholic I too have often wondered what the stations of the cross were.

I hope your finger is feeling better, slamming it in the car door is more than painful!!

Therese said...

Thanks Nana K.

My finger is still very sore. I just had to stop sewing because it was making it throb. I am able to move it around a lot so I am pretty sure it isn't broken. I think there is a lot of bruising though.

Unknown said...

This is a great post to refer to. My boys go to stations every Friday with school. I think it is a wonderful experience.

Anonymous said...

I love the Stations. I have got to get around to praying them this Lent.
God bless

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
I hope that your finger is feeling much better. I jammed my finger in my son's bedroom door last year, and nearly cut the end off it. I had to go to hospital and they steri-stripped it, but it is still too sore to play piano. :(

Thank you so much for posting about the Stations of the Cross - so beautiful and prayerful, for want of a better word! It is wonderful to be able to understand other religions, apart from our own.

Abbey's Road said...

I'm so HAPPY that you posted this, Therese! Before I moved across town, I used to attend the Stations every Wednesday evening while my son was in CCD. I've been dreadfully negligent and you have inspired me (as you so often do!) to get going again and make this a part of what is left of Lent. In fact, why not practice this all year? I remember how somber we all were, those of us who gathered for Stations. It is such a deeply emotional experience. I love how you and your family are observing and practicing this aspect of our Faith. God bless you for being YOU!

Abbey

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes

Please pray for a cure for Type One Diabetes
Our sons Tom and Christopher and our daughter Amelia are type one diabetics. We pray everyday for a cure. We do not want one by illicit means though so don't support any organisation that contributes to Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Click on the photo of Tom and Christopher to read about why I am against using Embryonic Stem cells for a cure.

Total Pageviews

Sitemeter

Australian Catholic Homeschoolers.

Tom's and Christopher's insulin pump

New book: Faith Quilt.

New book: Faith Quilt.
All proceeds from sales of "FAITH QUILT" going to "Casa de Amor Children's Homes in Bolivia" and "Sarah's Covenant Homes in India" Two truly extraordinary organisations that take in the most needy children and give them a place of love and security to call home.